Immunization Requirement

Measles, Rubella and Hepatitis B immunization requirements

IMPORTANT - college is an environment where students have close contact in classrooms, residence, and dining halls and common spaces. Because of this, you must protect yourself and others from the most common communicable diseases on college campuses: Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), and Hepatitis B (HEP B). This is so important to your health that the State of California and CSUMB require proof of immunization to maintain your enrollment. ACT TODAY and provide the documentation required for proof of immunization so that you are prepared for a healthy and enjoyable experience at college.

Under the provisions of Executive Order No. 803 from the Board of Trustees of the California State University, all students born after January 1, 1957 are required to present the following prior to enrolling in your second semester.

Proof of immunity against Measles and Rubella (MMR) AND;

Pursuant to Section 120390.5 of the Health and Safety Code, all first-time enrollees who are 18 years of age or younger as of September 1 in the same year that you begin Fall classes (or for Spring and Summer sessions - 18 or younger as of September 1 st of the previous year) you must also present proof of immunity to Hepatitis B. The entire Hep B, 3-shot series must be completed prior to enrolling in your second semester.

Ways to Prove Immunity:

  • Pediatrician's statement or record of immunizations,
  • State or international immunization records,
  • Primary or secondary school records,
  • Immunization records from another college or university attended,
  • Military records,
  • Immunizations recorded in your Baby Book, or
  • Results of a blood test indicating Hepatitis B and/or Measles and Rubella immunity.

If verification from any of the above sources is not possible, then you will need to do one of the following:

  • You may receive the vaccine at the Campus Health Center (for a fee),
  • Receive the vaccine from a physician or clinic of your choice,
  • Have your physician order the necessary blood test(s) to determine immunity, or
  • Have a blood test at the Campus Health Center (for a fee).

Submitting Proof of Immunization

Please send copies of your documents to the Campus Health Center or the Campus Service Center in the Student Services Building at CSUMB (100 Campus Center, Seaside, CA 93955-8001).  Please NOTE that email is NOT a secure method of communication, therefore please do NOT email any medical documents.


If you are precluded from the imminzation requirement due to a medical condition (validated in writing by your physician), religious affiliation, or personal belief, please contact the Campus Health Center to receive an exemption form. 


The American College Health Association says, "Certain college students are at increased risk for meningococcal disease, a potentially fatal bacterial infection commonly referred to as meningitis. A U.S. health advisory panel recommends that college students, particularly freshmen living in dorms, learn more about meningitis and vaccination."

All incoming freshman who will be residing in on-campus housing must acknowledge - through the Student Housing and Residential Life's website - that they have received information about the meningococcal disease and availability of the vaccine to prevent contracting the disease.

References on immunizations and/or meningitis:


NOTE to Service Learning Students

Pease access the Service Learning website about TB and Fingerprinting for instructions about TB tests.